Thursday, October 20, 2011

This winter will be a time of hibernation, regrouping and big goals

I want to quit my car. I hate driving, I hate being in a car, I hate using and buying gasoline. I hate the highway, I hate the cost of repairs. I hate getting red-light violation tickets in the mail and the fact that I had my car booted once because there is no parking on the second Tuesday of odd dated months and it cost $500 just to get it removed. I just shit hate everything about cars.

So, I have put up my Masi for sale on Craigslist for $800. Maybe a little more than I expect to get for it, but still I think a decent deal. It's a 2009, 51 cm for anyone who's interested. I have that mountain bike still sitting in the basement. I aim to sell that as well, it's a medium sized Trek 8500 or something. It's in decent shape and I think I can get $175 maybe $200 for it. The reason for this is that I want to buy myself a touring specific bike. I want a triple chainring and a very easy gear selection in back. I love going fast, but I've never topped out my big ring, so I feel like can afford to lose a few teeth, plus carrying a little boy in a trailer up steep hills in St. Louis can be difficult with normal gearing. I need more front wheel clearance because when I climb bad hills, my toe sometimes gets stuck underneath the fender and things get dangerous.

With support from my partner Crystal and despite much trepidation on the part of my parents, I am going to attempt to totally ditch the car....FINALLY. I bought a Burley Bee trailer and, with some modifications, it will make a perfect back seat/trunk/cargo haul/whatever the hell else a trailer can be. I even got Ari a little helmet that has sharks and lights. It was more expensive than my helmet was, but I got my helmet in Memphis so that might explain it.

I look forward to hours and hours of route planning on Google Maps. I look forward to adventures to be had with my kids--our second son is due January 31 2012. I look forward to exploring St. Louis. I look forward to camping and hiking and shopping by bike. I can't wait to pack the trailer full of paintings and deliver them to somewhere other than my house maybe. I am going to make a sign that says "3 FEET" and an arrow pointing to the left. I am going to take these boys and my partner on tours every summer and spring and fall and winter.

I just hope that my parents can see their way to understanding this is for the best. I hope that my fellow St. Louisans and fellow contrypeople can respect my space and keep their distance and help me feel secure out there. I am firmly in the camp that says travel by bicycle is far superior to any other mode. When combined with Amtrak, I can see myself bringing my family all over the place. I can't wait to introduce Crystal to cycling (which is a whole post on it's own). I can't wait to be in the best shape of my life. I am going to do it. No one but me can stop me (they say that on reality shows all the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment